Shore’s Pediatric Care Center – the first of its kind in New Jersey
When your child experiences a medical emergency, it can be frightening for you and your child alike. That's why Shore Medical Center established its state-of-the-art Pediatric Care Center. Your child will be seen by pediatric specialists in a separate emergency treatment area, specially designed to make the hospital experience less scary.
- The Ouchless Pediatric Program
Shore’s Ouchless Pediatric Program is designed to better minimize the pain and trauma a child might experience during a hospital visit.
Some of the tools used in our Ouchless program to minimize pain and trauma include:
- Buzzy the Bee: Buzzy is a bumblebee-shaped vibration device with ice-pack wings that can trick the nerves, blocking sharp pain and distracting children during injections or other medical procedures.
- Accuvein Vein Finder: Accuvein is a hand-held device that visualizes a map of the veins beneath a child’s skin to help make it easier to insert an IV on the first try. Because children get to essentially see inside their bodies, it can also be an interesting distraction during a procedure.
- Shot blockers: These simple plastic devices have many small, dull contact points that can be pressed around the injection site during a needle procedure to saturate the sensory nerves, distracting the child from the pain of the needle.
- Wound closing: When possible, we will use non-invasive adhesive glue or zip seals instead of stitches and topical pain control medications instead of injections.
In addition to these tools, Shore’s pediatric team has been trained by a Child Life Specialist on age-appropriate ways to reduce stress and anxiety, including:
- Comfort holds: During treatment, the child can sit on her parent’s lap and be held by someone they know and trust. This comforts the child and helps prevent the need for additional physical restraint.
- ‘One Voice’ method: One person – either family or staff – is designated to speak soothing words and help explain what is happening throughout the visit. The child can then focus on one trusted voice rather than being confused or overwhelmed by many.
This program is made possible by thoughtful generosity of Chris and Andrea Monihan and everyone who contributed to the Renee Parker Monihan Memorial Fund established at Shore in memory of their young daughter. We are grateful for the Monihan family for the honor of helping so many children and families in our community, in Renee’s memory.
- Pediatric Care Center Design
Shore’s groundbreaking Pediatric Care Center was designed to ensure your child receives the best care possible in a setting specially designed for kids.
- Pediatricians and neonatologists from Onsite available 24/7
- Board certified emergency department physicians
- Highly skilled, specially trained pediatric emergency nurses
- A sensory-friendly experience for children on the autism spectrum or with sensory processing disorders.
In addition to providing the best in medical care, Shore’s Pediatric Care Center features:
- Four state-of-the-art, specially designed and decorated treatment rooms
- Five child-centric patient rooms
- Play area complete with a large screen digital TV
- Comfortable Ronald McDonald family lounge
- Themed nurses’ station
- Sensory-Friendly Pediatric Program
At Shore, we know that a hospital visit can be scary for any child, but for children on the autism spectrum or with sensory processing disorders, it can be overwhelming - and even interfere with proper care. That’s why we are proud to offer a full sensory-friendly experience at our Pediatric Care Center to ensure your child receives the best care possible, from door to discharge. We proudly launched this program on World Autism Awareness Day, April 2, 2021.
Shore’s Pediatric Care Center staff are trained by experts from the Atlantic County Special Services School District, who helped develop the program. The unit is outfitted with a wide array of resources to help your child feel more at home, including:
- Communication tools just like those your child might use at home and school, customized to a healthcare experience.
- Sensory installations to help create a calming environment.
- A cart full of sensory toys, weighted blankets and noise-canceling headphones to help distract your child during treatments (which you can take home with you).
Shore Medical Center is committed to building a long-term and trusting relationship with you and your family. We want you to know that your child will receive the proper medical care they need from experienced staff, in an environment that supports the special needs of children on the autism spectrum or with sensory disorders.
- Family-Centered Care
Shore Medical Center's pediatric care team is made up of professionals who are dedicated to caring for the unique needs of children. Parents are an essential part of our care team as well. We work with you so you can stay informed of care choices, participate in your child's plan of care and assist your child in feeling safe throughout their hospital stay.
Our nursing staff will keep you informed and include you in the decision making process. They will assess, plan, implement and evaluate all aspects of your child's care. This collaborative approach to care encourages families to follow the designated plan of care and to become educated in the all aspects of their child's condition.
Our goal is to provide high quality care in a safe and caring environment while working with you to identify and meet your family's personal and spiritual needs. We encourage your family to spend as much time as possible at your child's bedside. Our rooms provide comfort and privacy your child's stay in our Pediatric Care Center. Each room offers TV, DVD, private bathrooms and sleeping accommodations for parents.
You can rest assured that your child is in good clinical hands. All children at Shore are seen by board certified emergency physicians and specially trained emergency nurses, who will work in consultation with physicians from Onsite Neonatal Partners.
- Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House (RMH) were developed in response to RMH of Southern New Jersey's commitment to expand services to families of seriously ill and injured children.
The Shore Medical Center's RMH is located within the Pediatric Care Center and is available for use by any family member of a child admitted to the pediatric department. Our RMH offers respite for you, while only being a few doors away from your child's bedside. There is a seating area, kitchenette stocked with snacks and drinks, Internet access and a play area for siblings. The Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey provides all the complementary snacks and beverages.